my daughter, my delight

(a paraphrase of proverbs 23.17-19, 26)
Let not your heart grow restless
where it sits, ill contented, envious
over sinners who can go their own way
by the light of their own eyes,
who can run, run, run
as if no one will catch them.
They will be caught in fear of Him,
who has captured you, too,
the runaway who couldn’t run away
far enough to outrun Him,
nor fast enough to outrun His love.

You continue in that fear, that sweet
divine love-trap that enwraps you.
You live in light of His love, you saint,
run in His love, not away from it.

“I know your feet are tired, 
unsure of this unsteady path.
And your hands are weary,
as they seem to beat against the wind,
finding no firm place to hold.

“Remember my promise, my promise
to make you my gold.
See on its surface engraved these
covenant words—
‘Surely there is a future,
and your hope will not be cut off.’”

Surely there are still, 
yes, even now,
far, far better things ahead,
as any you may leave behind.
The future stretches far beyond
the horizon you can see.
And hope is not a mirage
in this wilderness you walk through.
Hear these your Father’s words and
be wise to receive them wholly.
Plunge your heart into their depths,
trusting that these bitter waters
have turned sweet from His hand,
sweeter than honey.
And remember that His way is always best,
even always through the wilderness test.
He will not leave you here.

“Give me your heart, 
my daughter, my delight.
I alone will hold it perfectly,
as I hide your heart in mine.
And lift up your eyes, 
dark and bright with tears,
direct your heart’s shying gaze
to rediscover my ways with you.
My love is with you always,
my daughter, my delight.

My love will lead you home.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What do you want from me?

Lent is: leaning in.

Return {velvet ashes link up}