Receive

Today, I sit in my apartment, with Philip Philips playing in the background, sipping some coffee, and, even after two weeks of being back in my favorite small town, it feels so surreal. Literally like a dream. But a very good dream that God has crafted into a far greater reality than I could have ever asked for or imagined. Immeasurably more. That is how our God works. I find such rest in that. 

"Cease striving, and know that I am God," I hear Him whisper over me. I cannot earn more of Him, I cannot please Him more than the level of pleasure that Jesus has already accomplished on our behalf. The crux that haunts me is this: am I living in light of that? Or am I striving, striving, striving for more, when all has already been given. Will I receive or will I strive?

I choose to receive. Palms up, hands out in front of me. I receive.

"But I trust in you, O LORD;
I say, 'You are my God.'
My times are in your hand; 
rescue me from the hand of 
my enemies and from my persecutors!
Make your face shine on your servant;
save me in your steadfast love!
O LORD, let me not be put to shame,
for I call upon you;
let the wicked be put to shame;
let them go silently to Sheol.
Let the lying lips be mute,
which speak insolently against 
the righteous in pride and contempt.
Oh, how abundant is your goodness,
which you have stored up for those who fear you
and worked for those who take refuge in you,
in the sight of the children of mankind!
In the cover of your presence you hide them
from the plots of men;
you store them in your shelter
from the strife of tongues.
Blessed be the Lord,
for He has wondrously shown his steadfast love to me
when I was in a besieged city.
I had said in my alarm,
'I am cut off from your sight.'
But you heard the voice of my pleas for mercy
when I cried to you for help.
Love the Lord, all you his saints!
The LORD preserves the faithful
but abundantly repays the one who acts in pride.
Be strong, and let your heart take courage,
all you who wait from the Lord!"
Psalm 31:14-24

Open your hands. Receive all that has already been given. Cease striving. He is your God. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What do you want from me?

Lent is: leaning in.

Return {velvet ashes link up}