It's Been Awhile, per usual.

I mean, if you've read anything I've written before, you know that not writing for weeks on end is just the norm for me, and having pretty busy days out here in Oklahoma makes no difference in usual routine. But I figured I should write today, since it's about to get even busier for the next few weeks. So, here goes.

Around here, my teammate and I are known as "the missionaries." Literally. That is how we're introduced, and what we are just called on a daily basis. I love it. As our state supervisor asked us the other day at lunch, isn't what you are doing here exactly what Christ intended?

So, let me give you a glimpse into our lives, as "the missionaries." We wake up between 6:30-7 and eat breakfast with the girls/families. This usually involves a devotion of some sort, which sometimes we do, or the house parents do them. Then we go to work around campus with the girls (unless there are a lot which don't have work yet in the house, then we'll stay and hang with them, maybe take a walk/play outside). Work around campus can be restocking our commissary or working at the Ag. barn, feeding the animals and mucking and such (my new happy place). Then comes lunch with the girls. We may have a meeting thrown in there at some point. The afternoons are a little more chill, where we will usually do our quiet time or just rest. The girls may want to play a game or swim, and we will join them there too. Then dinner with them again. Then maybe a TV show will be watched or a movie, then bedtime is pretty early (unless you stay up and make cookies with one of your girls like I did last night!), but usually I have some more Bible study quiet time, then prayer time, and finally sleep. Saturdays we can sleep in, and Sunday is our day off.

So, you're probably reading this schedule and gawking. I mean, it seems pretty relaxed and like we do fun stuff all day (as a friend said the other day), especially if you're one of my other summer missionary friends. But we are missionaries. We are intentional with our lives. We do our Bible studies in the living room, so we're still accessible to the girls. We write in our journals and write letters to friends in the living room, again, so these girls know we are here for them. We do not stay cramped in our rooms, waiting for them to come to us. We go to them. We are just living life with them, with a mindset that I'm not just here to be your best friend, but to be your sister in Christ and see you grow in Him and glorify Him in all you do.

And as the quote from my supervisor says, this is exactly what Christ wants us to do, no matter where we are. I've been so convicted about how I spent this last spring semester at school. I was in my room all the time. Legitimately. Especially after Dubai, I was so drained all the time because I had stretched myself too thin and not letting the Word speak to me, to fill me up as I should have been. So I was a hermit. Many friends can attest to that. Here, it's just not allowed. For example, after I write this post, I'm going to go and finish my quiet time in the living room before I take a shower and get ready for Falls Creek (a camp we're going to tonight). Everything we do is so intentional. Just as Christ was. He knew when He needed to get away alone and pray (see Mark 1:35), and I know that too. But He also knew that He needed to be out, with the people, leading by example and by word.

I'm there, here. I want to transfer it all back home. I don't know exactly what this is going to look like when I get back, but I know that this is truly what Christ intended when He commanded us to be His witnesses. So, as I read last night in Acts 1 (well, early this morning..), we have a choice to make, a step to take. We can either stand there and stare into Heaven, or we can move and get to work and make disciples. The choice is clear. Are we going to do it?

Comments

  1. Praying for you! p.s. I had a friend that worked at Falls Creek for a summer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What do you want from me?

Lent is: leaning in.

Return {velvet ashes link up}