It's Time to be Radical.

Yesterday, I finally finished reading Radical by David Platt. It was a very good read. It was a very challenging read. Very challenging. And I cannot get off my mind this thing that sums up the book at the end...The Radical Experiment. It is a year-long commitment to do five things:

1. Pray for the entire world.
2. Read through the entire Word.
3. Commit your life to a multiplying community.
4. Sacrifice your money for a specific purpose.
5. Spend time in another context.

I've been praying ever since I started this journey in this book for God to give me vision about what He would have me to do. Vision is one of those words that I have never been able to shake. A couple of years ago, I heard a pastor speak on Proverbs 29:18, which says, "Where there is no vision, the people perish." And I haven't forgotten it. It was like as soon as I heard it, I memorized got. God imprinted it on my heart. We'll see how He continues working it out, but right now, I am seeking Radical Vision. A new direction. That will start out with 2011 but will not end there. It simply cannot. God has given me a vision for my life. I'm called to spend life after college and seminary overseas storying the Bible. That's a big picture, and it's all I know. It's all I need to know.

But I have to face facts. I am stuck here. Yet God is opening many, many doors...already I'm seeing next semester form into a crazy one. But I think, no, I know, He is going to do some amazing things. Here's just a few...

...I'm in a class where I will be serving a couple of hours a week. Probably at WeWillGo in downtown Jackson. Don't know the specifics yet, but I get to write about my time there. Um, pretty much I'll be blogging for a grade. Epic! Love it.
...BSU Summer Missions will be in full swing, with many, many, many events. I cannot wait to walk through this time with those who are giving up there summers!
...There is an Indian market, complete with SAMOSAS!! Haha, a friend and I are going to try and start a "samosa day" to build relationships with the women that work and shop there.
...I may get an opportunity to co-lead a small group with my church.
...I'll be going through Esther with some amazing friends (+my first precept study!)
...I'll be spending my Spring Break in Dubai, UAE through my church.
...I'll be spending my summer somewhere...either in Oklahoma or Chicago (more on that to come).

The list could go on and on. Yeah, I'm pretty much not going to have any time to eat. But I'm totally ok with that.

Anyway, back to the Radical experiment. As that list may suggest, God has already prepared many things in line with this experiment before I even thought about doing this. He's just good like that. But there is one that I cannot figure out what He wants me to do. That is, #4, Sacrifice your money for a specific purpose. For awhile I've been thinking about sponsoring a Compassion International child, and I've researched a lot on their website. But I cannot get a peace about taking the step. I don't know what He is asking me to sacrifice. But we'll see. He's working. I'm just choosing to follow. If you have any suggestions or questions, let me know. I want to find a community to join in this experiment. Let me know.

For now, I wait. Just as Ruth did. And I claim Ruth 3:18 in my own anxious heart..."Wait, my daughter, until you learn how the matter turns out, for the man will not rest but will settle the matter today."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What do you want from me?

Lent is: leaning in.

Return {velvet ashes link up}