The Barley Harvest has just begun...

The past few weeks a few wonderful friends and myself have been going through the book of Ruth. We finished up talking about chapter 2 tonight. But as we began, one of the girls just said that she couldn't get over the last verse of chapter 1. So, we went back and looked at it again before going on.

Ruth 1:22--"So Naomi returned, and Ruth the Moabite her daughter-in-law with her, who returned from the country of Moab. And they came to Bethlehem at the beginning of barley harvest."

My first thought was, Huh? How are we stuck here? I don't understand. But oh did God open up my eyes.

This young woman instantly LIT UP when she began to speak. She said that she was realizing this was the beginning of her Barley Harvest. That she has returned from a dark time in the desert, and that she has hope of a new and bright future, set apart by God. The other member of our group was right with me in the "wow" factor, and then she turned to me and asked me about my Barley Harvest.

My eyes averted, instantly down. I don't feel it right now, I said. I'm kinda in a very confused state. I'm struggling. It is almost like I'm running back and forth from the desert (Moab) and the promised land of the Barley harvest. I don't know why, I know what is going on. I'm clinging to God's faithfulness. I want to see the hope that does not disappoint me (Romans 5), when I'm feeling disappointed in other areas. But it's just hard right now.

Those ladies did nothing but encourage me. The lifted me up. They said that I must not beat myself up over this. It meant so much for me to hear that. Other than this one situation, God is really evident and really moving. But I just don't feel it completely full circle. But I'm fighting to see it. The Barely Harvest has just begun. God is ready to show me something amazing. He's ready to redeem this situation for His glory. I don't see how, why, when, etc. But HE does. And I cling to that!

And so I look to Ruth as an example to follow in this season of the Barley Harvest. Check out Ruth Chapter 2.

This means I must go out to the field. This means I must glean. This means I will be noticed by my God. He will take care of me. He will provide over and beyond what I need. He will draw me in with His love and favor and grace. He will redeem! He will.

And the story of Ruth goes on. She is redeemed by Boaz. She has the son who will father the greatest King of Israel, David. The same family line of the Messiah. It's an amazing story. And it directly relates to us. Christ redeems us and makes us new. He has glory to show off and He wants to use us. He is doing a great, amazing, wonderful work in each of our lives and will complete it (Philippians 1:6).

For the Barley Harvest is just beginning...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What do you want from me?

Lent is: leaning in.

An Identity Crisis