Learning from "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian"


Last night, I watched a movie I had not seen in awhile and the last time I did see it, I was not all that impressed. But this time around, I was blown away by the (yes, I'm saying it) symbolism and just biblical parallels that dominated the movie (well, it is a C.S. Lewis novel after all, what can one expect?). The movie was, as the title of this post suggests, The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian.

Because of the biblical parallels, there are several quotes from the movie that just really struck me last night.

The first is from the scene right after the Narnian's victory: The 5 Kings & Queens bow before Alsan, and Aslan asks them to rise. Prince Caspian hesitates by saying the following quote (with Aslan's response).

"I don't think I'm ready."
"It is for that very reason that I know you are."
~Aslan, comforting Prince Caspian in his doubt,
"The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian"

When I first heard this quote, I was like, wow! That's so cool. Because...We so often say that to God: "I don't think I'm ready." And I think God tends to respond in the same way Aslan did: Because of your hesitation, I know now that you know that you can't do it. And that is why you can. Because you trust ME to get you through whatever it is I am asking you to do. You've lost yourself in me. And that is why you are ready: "For when you are weak, then you are strong." (1 Corinthians 12:9-10)

The following quote is found when Peter has just almost brought The White Witch from the grave, to help him. He realizes Aslan is the only hope, but he is still struggling with his doubts. Lucy comes to him to try and comfort him:

"I just wish he'd given me some proof."
"Maybe we're the ones who need to prove ourselves to him."
~Lucy answering Peter's doubts with a call to action,
"The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian"

I love this quote because it also hold truth to it. So often we do struggle with "proof" of our living God. We want him to be tangible and true. But the simple truth is that He is. Romans 1 talks about his "invisible attributes" that leave every many without excuse of saying that they never knew about Him. Lucy, throughout the entire movie, continues to show her childlike faith as seen in the first movie, because she sees and believes Aslan is still reigning over Narnia. However, she also sees, in a maturity beyond her age, that faith needs to be built up by working out our salvation. This is NOT works-based salvation, but salvation that leads to works. So here Lucy suggests that we need to prove ourselves to him, in that, we believe and that we will fight for the death to put the true King of Kings--Aslan--on the throne once more.

The next quote shows that even Miss Lucy is not perfect. Because not one believer is perfect, and if anyone thinks they are, he deceives himself. The quote comes when she runs up to Aslan, who has just saved her life:

"I knew it was you. The whole time, I knew it. But the others didn't believe me."
"And why would that stop you from coming to me?"
~Aslan, gently rebuking Lucy's faltering faith, "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian"

This quote is beautiful, because it again shows us how God often is hurt by us, and how He responds to that pain we often inflict Him with our lack of faith, or lack of faith that leads to action, as Lucy has struggled with. He asks why would anything stop you from coming to me? And God asks us that. We let so so much get in the way of continuing to grow our relationship with Him. And all He wants is our heart.

I hope these quotes speak to you as they spoke to me. God can even use "pop culture" to often speak to us! :)

Oh yes, and the song that is currently playing is from the very end of the movie. It is a moving song; I cannot stop listening to it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What do you want from me?

Lent is: leaning in.

Return {velvet ashes link up}