His love, my joy

Today, I found myself reading the passage that the url-link of this blog was inspired by. "I-must-decrease" comes from John 3. John testifies to a Jew who questions John's baptism vs. Jesus' baptism. John speaks of his joy, his joy made complete because of Jesus' coming. And John's joy beautifully humbles him to see Jesus once again as greater, and so he begins to step back. "He must increase, but I must decrease."

I've long echoed that sentiment, desiring a humble heart that seeks Christ more than itself. I repeat John's words as a prayer over my tired heart. Because pride does nothing but empty me and fill nothing.

"For this is how God so loved the world." And this is how He so loves me today. By allowing me to hear a greater truth than the self-condemnation I tend to twist around His Word like a noose. 

John speaks this famous statement from an overflow of joy. He is so overjoyed by his place in Jesus' story as "the friend of the bridegroom," that nothing else matters now--except that he has heard the voice of the bridegroom coming to take His bride. And my heart realizes today that my role has never been John's. I'm not just "a friend of the bridegroom." I am the bride.

"The one who has the bride is the bridegroom." I am a part of Jesus' beloved bride, the Church, being made ready for Him in these days on earth as I seek to believe and to obey--to receive eternal life and to see it here and now. John's joy was completed by this miraculous coming of the bridegroom, Jesus. My joy is still being made complete and full as I watch and wait and serve until the day He comes back. 

But my joy is renewed this morning in this sweet fact--that I am His bride. And He has me. Fully, perfectly, with all the love and beauty and could ever been shared between lovers. Our love is but a mirror, dimly reflecting His. Humility should not cut our hearts down, it should bear our hearts up upon the greatness of His love. So, as I still echo John's words, "I must decrease," I do so from a different position. I decrease as I become more like the bride Christ has taken for Himself. I decrease as abide in His love, as I hide in His love. 

Keep me hidden in the shadow of Your love,
that I may decrease in the pride of myself.
Keep me hidden in the shadow of Your love,
that You may increase in the glory of your Bride.

"It was love that made Jesus a servant...O my soul, your love cannot attain this! Therefore, listen to Him who says, 'Abide in My love.' Our one desire must be that He may show us how He loves us, and that He Himself may keep us abiding in His love. Live every day as the beloved of the Lord, in the experience that His love washes, cleanses, bears, and blesses you all the day long. His love flowing into you will flow out again from you, and make it your greatest joy to follow His example in washing the feet of others." --Andrew Murray, Like Christ (pg. 27-28)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What do you want from me?

Lent is: leaning in.

Return {velvet ashes link up}