A Journey through Narnia

Finally, finally, finally, I have begun the journey of reading C.S. Lewis' classic series, The Chronicles of Narnia. Now, yes, I love the movies. But I love reading more. There are very few movies which have been adapted from books that I love more than the original book (Pride & Prejudice would have to be one). Anyway, so I finished the first book, The Magician's Nephew, today. Don't ask me why the movies don't go in line with the books...although I wish I knew, because I loved this book.

I'll keep this short (well, I'll make the effort, we all know it probably won't happen) and focus in on one point of the book. It's near the end, and it's right after Aslan has brought the land and animals of Narnia to life. With several songs. Oh it is such a beautiful scene. But, Digory, the main character in this book (if you've seen the movie, Digory is the Professor, who has the wardrobe), desires to ask Aslan if he can take something back from this land to heal his mom. So, he goes after Aslan, and Aslan, instead of giving him a chance to ask, gives Digory a task to find this apple on the other side of Narnia. Digory is overcome with grief for his mom and, with tears in his eyes, blurts out, "But please, please--won't you--can't you give me something that will heal my mother?" And he looks up to Aslan, who has brought his face close to Digory, and also has tears in his eyes.

It is such a beautiful picture of the intimacy and attachment that Aslan has for this kid. And I think it mirrors completely God's relationship with us. He cries when we cry. I'm just so overwhelmed by this intimacy we can have with him. And I love that I'm reading about Aslan. Because C.S. Lewis wrote this character with our wonderful God in mind. And I love seeing the parallels like this one that he draws between the two.

One down, 6 to go! :)

[look, a short post! success! haha]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What do you want from me?

Lent is: leaning in.

Return {velvet ashes link up}