Hello, My Name is Katie, and I'm a Perfectionist.

I'll confess it again.

Hello, My Name is Katie, and I'm a Perfectionist.

All kidding aside. God has completely been teaching me how to break this part of my character. Sure, it comes in handy, when I'm completing schoolwork, but what God is really trying to teach me is that I, myself, do not have to be perfect. He's reminded me of it in two sermons I've heard recently. Here are the quotes.

...Righteousness is not perfection, it's direction: Depending on the power and the presence of another to make you right, while doing everything you can to honor the One who made you that way.

...Spiritual maturity is not perfection. It's fighting tooth and nail, and failing bunches, until the spiritual beats the flesh more often than the other way around.

I don't have to be perfect. You don't have to be perfect. None of us do! And I think it is time we are starting living with this fact. We have already been made perfect.

Hebrews says...

"The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming-not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship...because by one sacrifice He has made perfect forever those who are being made holy." (10:1,14)

"...looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith."

So we have been made perfect through His sacrifice and our faith is now being perfected through sanctification. "For it is GOD who works in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure."

So let us rest in that...we do not have to be perfect. If we will let go of that one thing, imagine the doors that God could continue leading us to and through. Because if we let go of our need to be perfect, then guilt cannot haunt us anymore, and worry will float away, giving way to a new flood of God's Spirit within us. So, let us--you and me--get on our knees right now and let go of our need for perfection.

Lord, thank You. For not making us be perfect. For sacrificing Yourself to be our perfection. For setting Your Holy Spirit free upon us to perfect us in Your love and truth, so that one day soon, we can face the Father, approved servants. Lord, take away this need to get all the steps right in this dance, so I can focus on You. On the music. On how much You love me, and on how much I still have to learn, and on how I can love others the way You love me. Thank You for capturing my heart, for being my Beloved. I love you more than mere words could express.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What do you want from me?

Lent is: leaning in.

Return {velvet ashes link up}