Another Lesson from Genesis 28:15

So, some of you may already know my story about Genesis 28:15, but I am going to say it again here, with some new thoughts added, because, as I talked with a friend today, God taught me a new lesson about it. As He loves to do, yes? :)

Genesis 28:15
"Behold! I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. For I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you."

So, I have 2 lessons from this verse (so far). The first involves the italicized part of the verse, learned almost 8,000 miles from where I sit right now. The second, fresh from today at home, involves the bold word.

1. I read this verse for the first time 8,000 miles away, in a beautiful country known as Hindustan (literally, the land of Hindus), or, more commonly, India. Before I left the US, I was given a prayer journal from a friend. I used this thing religiously (no pun intented). Through it, I learned the power of prayer--how God listens and He responds. I spoke with God through this journal every morning. One Wednesday, only about two weeks into our time in India, I was writing about a wedding we had been to, about the village Bertoli, in which, the previous day, two women chose to follow Jesus only, and (I'm just now discovering this) thanking my God for bringing me to India. And then I read this verse at the bottom of the page. A couple of weeks later, as I was still just blown completely away by God speaking so clearly through His word, I wrote beside this verse in my journal, "ummm...saying something God?" Indeed He was. He is calling me back. Oh the exciting journey it has been. And will continue to be, as He will bring me back.

2. But today I learned a new truth from this verse, as I shared this story with a friend and heard her passion for ministry and how she would also like to see India. She told me that she hopes "that everyday for both of us is 'in India.'" Beautiful truth. Because it is just as dark here as it is there. This whole world is in darkness, and we are the light. Immediately God reminded me of Genesis 28:15, but pointed out the part, "I will keep you wherever you go." Keep me, according to the New Oxford American Dictionary, "to continue in a specified condition, position, or course." To continue, everyday, just as in India, or the DR (where my friend has been), or wherever, in the same way here. Our condition is Christlike (no matter what), our position is upon His foundation of truth (and not anything but His truth), one that points to Him like a compass points North, and our course is to fulfill the ministry He has given us (whatever that is), giving HIM alone all the glory.

I love new truths from His word. Don't you?

So, here's the battle cry: Darkness reigns everywhere. Remember, we are called to be His witnesses in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. All of those places (hometown, state, nation, the earth) are ruled by the evil one. And we are called to shine wherever He places us! So, shine! And remember, that darkness cannot overcome light. One light can light up a large area, and only when it ceases to shine can darkness carry out it's darkest deeds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What do you want from me?

Lent is: leaning in.

Return {velvet ashes link up}